Federal Food Program for Low-Income Seniors

Low-income senior citizens in Union County may now be eligible for the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP), which provides a monthly package of food designed to supplement their nutritional needs.

The number of monthly packages is limited locally, and packages are provided on a first come, first served basis of those registered in the program. If you’re interested in applying, please see the criteria below.

No drop-in registration is available; you must make an appointment by emailing Tara.Bryant@UnionShelter.org or by leaving a voice message with your name and phone number at (704) 261-3496.

Once enrolled in the program, you will be notified of the date to pick up each month. The Community Shelter will establish a waiting list once the number of allotted enrollees is reached.


To apply for the CSFP in Union County, applicants must:

Food packages include a variety of foods, such as nonfat dry and ultra high-temperature fluid milk, juice, farina, oats, ready-to-eat cereal, rice, pasta, peanut butter, dry beans, canned meat, poultry, or fish, and canned fruits and vegetables.

The federally-funded program distributes USDA food and is administered by the NC Department of Agriculture through Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina, which recently added the Community Shelter as a program collaborator.


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)      mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)      fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3)      email: program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

© Union County Community Shelter | 160 Meadow Street, Monroe, NC 28110 | (704) 289-5300